Who am I?
I am not my ClothesBut what’s clothed under, is a part of me
I am not my Bag or my ShoesBut what carries it, is a part of me
I am not my CarBut what drives it, is a part of me
I am not my SalaryBut who earns it, is a part of me
I am not my colourBut how I look, is a part of me
I am not my emotionsBut how I feel, is a part of me
I am neither this nor am I that
Then why do you judge me by any of these?
Am I my skills or my qualifications?
If I was that, then I should not have existed when I was a child
Before I learnt any skills or went to school
If I was that, then I should cease to exist if I lose my skill or fail an exam
Then why do you call me a Labourer?
I am neither my skills nor my qualifications, do you understand?
Am I my Economic status?
If I was that, then I should not have existed before I became rich
If I was that, then I should cease to exist when I become poor
Then why do you call me a Beggar?
I am not my Economic status, do you understand?
Am I my Political status?
If I was that, then I should not have existed before I joined any party
If I was that, then I should cease to exist when I leave the party
Then why do you call me a Naxalite?
I am not my Political Status, do you understand?
Am I my Social Status?
Family is just a part of my social existence
If I was that, then I should not have existed
Before I was married or before my children were born
If I was that, I should cease to exist
After I get divorced or after my children are dead
Then why do you call me a Social Outcast?
I am not my Social Status, do you understand?
I am neither this nor am I that
Then why do you judge me by any of these?
Am I my Religion?
Religion is just a part of my belief
If I was that, then I should cease to exist
The day I change my Religion.
Then why do you call me a Hindu?
I am not my Religion, do you understand?
Am I my Disability?
Disability is a part of my human form
If I was that, then I should cease to exist
The day my disability is cured
Then why do you call me a Deaf?
I am not my Disability, do you understand?
I am neither this nor am I that
Then why do you judge me by any of these?
Who am I then, if not any of these?
Whatever is left unnoticed I am all of that
I am the Love that beautifies a child
I am the Energy that transcends the youth
I am the compassion that tenders the adult
I am the Wisdom that calms the old
And I am everything good that’s left unsaid!
I am all of these, the essence of Life, do you understand?
I am the true essence of mankind
I am that which remains unchanged
I am You!
-- Sherin Noordheen
Comments