Girl: I am planning to get married
Listener: Wow Great. Tell me more
Girl: It’s a pre-arranged wedding .I don’t know him pretty well.
Situation 1:
Listener1: Wow, you are a gem. Even though you are educated, you still respect and obey your elders and their decisions. You will definitely have a wonderful married life. My blessings!
Situation 2:
Listener2: What? Are you crazy? Or are you desperate? How can you marry someone whom you don’t know? You don’t even know if you are even compatible…Come-on...Think twice before doing anything stupid. And don’t marry because every other is doing so.
Why is it that the same thing is interpreted differently in different situations?
Or is it the Perspective that plays the major role.
People have moved ahead in almost all possible walks of life. But still, when it comes to certain traditions, some people find it comfortable to hold on to certain perspectives, which may appear stupid in this time of life. Well then again what is stupid is also relative.
I started noticing about the inter-racial marriages when I was in Amsterdam .Most of the residents of Amsterdam were foreigners. It was a mix of culture .Everywhere you go you could find different sorts of couples –Chinese-Dutch, Dutch –African, African-Suriname, Dutch-Suriname and so on. This was an eye-opener for me, especially since I was from India and it was my first visit abroad.After a few days, when the curiosity subsided, it was dumped at some part of my subconscience.
Recently, during a conversation with one of my new Iranian Acquaintances, he enquired about the perspectives of Indians about caste and religion and all. And before I could express my curiosity about the origin of such a question, he started explaining –“Well I had a friend. She was from India-Northern part of India to be exact and she once mentioned that, if at all she is getting married, she will be marrying someone from the North only and never from the South” .I had to pass the question saying it was new to me also. Since I didn't have a north Indian acquaintance at that point of time, with whom I could clarify this,I dumped this question into the same old corner of my subconscious mind, hoping to find a clarification some day.
It’s always interesting to observe others and study their misery as long as it doesn’t affect you in some way or the other. Unfortunately, I was also rejected by a family saying we, the people of North, won’t take alliances with you, the people from south .If it is worse in case for the ends of a country -mine was even worse and the south and north were just the 2 corners of a small state of the so called unified country. Well again, when the parents are well educated and meant to mould the future generation, is it all perspective?
If the educated ones treat /are treated like this, what can be mentioned about the less privileged? Then again, it’s all perspective. But somehow, when I was dumped with this piece of information, I could feel a sudden surge from my subconscious mind to my conscious mind!
If education cannot change perspective, can we hope experience would?
Listener: Wow Great. Tell me more
Girl: It’s a pre-arranged wedding .I don’t know him pretty well.
Situation 1:
Listener1: Wow, you are a gem. Even though you are educated, you still respect and obey your elders and their decisions. You will definitely have a wonderful married life. My blessings!
Situation 2:
Listener2: What? Are you crazy? Or are you desperate? How can you marry someone whom you don’t know? You don’t even know if you are even compatible…Come-on...Think twice before doing anything stupid. And don’t marry because every other is doing so.
Why is it that the same thing is interpreted differently in different situations?
Or is it the Perspective that plays the major role.
People have moved ahead in almost all possible walks of life. But still, when it comes to certain traditions, some people find it comfortable to hold on to certain perspectives, which may appear stupid in this time of life. Well then again what is stupid is also relative.
I started noticing about the inter-racial marriages when I was in Amsterdam .Most of the residents of Amsterdam were foreigners. It was a mix of culture .Everywhere you go you could find different sorts of couples –Chinese-Dutch, Dutch –African, African-Suriname, Dutch-Suriname and so on. This was an eye-opener for me, especially since I was from India and it was my first visit abroad.After a few days, when the curiosity subsided, it was dumped at some part of my subconscience.
Recently, during a conversation with one of my new Iranian Acquaintances, he enquired about the perspectives of Indians about caste and religion and all. And before I could express my curiosity about the origin of such a question, he started explaining –“Well I had a friend. She was from India-Northern part of India to be exact and she once mentioned that, if at all she is getting married, she will be marrying someone from the North only and never from the South” .I had to pass the question saying it was new to me also. Since I didn't have a north Indian acquaintance at that point of time, with whom I could clarify this,I dumped this question into the same old corner of my subconscious mind, hoping to find a clarification some day.
It’s always interesting to observe others and study their misery as long as it doesn’t affect you in some way or the other. Unfortunately, I was also rejected by a family saying we, the people of North, won’t take alliances with you, the people from south .If it is worse in case for the ends of a country -mine was even worse and the south and north were just the 2 corners of a small state of the so called unified country. Well again, when the parents are well educated and meant to mould the future generation, is it all perspective?
If the educated ones treat /are treated like this, what can be mentioned about the less privileged? Then again, it’s all perspective. But somehow, when I was dumped with this piece of information, I could feel a sudden surge from my subconscious mind to my conscious mind!
If education cannot change perspective, can we hope experience would?
Comments
nice read!
its not just north/south
theres east/west, aaa state, bbb district, xxx religion, yyy caste, zzz subcaste, lower class, middle class, upper middle class, lower middle class, middle middle class, upper class, high class, super high class, working class, professional class, untouchably rich class, kkk family, arisctocracy, blood line, money, property, blah blah blah.. i feel sick if i think more.
i wonder whether beyond a limit,if all this considerations are important for propogation of the species :-p